Monday, February 1, 2010

I'll Eat my Pizza Any Way I Want!

Doesn't Spencer look dashing in his new suit?  It was a birthday gift from Grandma Ivie this year. They had a fun little adventure going to Mr. Mac (and Keva Juice afterward) to pick it out. My mom is an expert suit buyer, so he was in good hands.

This is not what I had planned, though. I had always thought there was plenty of time for boys to have to wear formal church attire when they're older. I figured golf type shirts or casual button-downs and twill pants were fine for Primary boys and when Spencer turned 12 we'd get him some dress shirts and ties since he would be passing the sacrament then. When he became a priest and was blessing the sacrament we'd buy him his first suit. It made perfect sense to me.

Spencer, however, does not appreciate my plans. At age 5 he was already asking for a suit, and I finally compromised when he was 6 or 7 and bought him some zip-on ties.  Then for his baptism we got him a nice new white dress shirt and a "real" tie. But Spencer kept asking for a suit. 

That boy knows his own mind and feels free to tell me so. One of the first clear verbal indications of this came when he was four years old. He was eating pizza one day and he was pulling all the cheese off and piling it next to his plate. I told him to leave the cheese on and he looked right at me and said, firmly, "Look you--I'll eat my pizza any way I want!" It was a good reminder to me that my boy has his agency, whether it's pizza or suits, and sometimes I need to just step out of the way!

7 comments:

  1. Well, no matter who's idea the suit was he sure looks sharp!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love the "LOOK-YOU!" He looks great! How nice of Grandma Ivie!
    Pretty SMOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOth!

    Rachel

    ReplyDelete
  3. yes, i noticed his new suit on sunday. very handsome. but there's something about that suit that takes the "baby" right out from under a mother =(.

    ReplyDelete
  4. He looks very handsome. The "Look you" reminds me when my 5 year old said, "think harder in that brain of yours" when she didn't like my no answer once. Kids definitely have a mind of their own.

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is not Spencer...this is Rico Suave', international movie star and teeny-bopper idol, from that new movie just out called, "WonderMan-Suit of Steel." Can we have your autograph? XOXOX JulieO

    ReplyDelete