I'm pretty sure we didn't have Ziploc bags growing up. We had those sandwich bags that fold over but not those zipped-tight interlocking, blue-and-pink-make-purple bags. Or it could have been that my mother never spent the money on them. Either way, plastic wrap, aluminum foil and those fold-over sandwich bags were all I remember.
When Darrel and I got married, we planned a long honeymoon. Darrel was very involved with photography at the time and was writing a book about temples in the United States. We planned to fly to Seattle and get pictures of the temple there, then drive down the coast to Portland and San Diego to get pictures of those temples. We bought some snacks and various food items to keep in our hotel room mini-fridges and when it was time to drive on, I just couldn't stand to throw that perfectly good food away. I couldn't escape the thrifty background from which I'd come...and Darrel thought it was hilarious when I carefully sealed up all our pretzels, licorice, crackers, etc. in Ziploc bags to bring with us on the trip. I believe he even took a picture of it which I may dig out and add to this post.

Ever since then he's liked to tease me about my love of Ziplocs. I seem to recall him showing me an ad for giant Ziplocs big enough to put clothing in to store when they're out of season. And he most definitely gave me a hard time on our most recent vacation when we packed up to leave Florida. To my credit, I didn't take anything perishable along with us (darn rules about bringing liquids in carry-ons) but I did bring home some instant oatmeal packets, crackers and bread, I believe. I told Darrel he should be grateful to have such a frugal wife which is partly why we had money to go on our vacation in the first place. I'm not sure he saw it that way.
Today, we went to Darrel's oldest brother's house in Kamas to celebrate Father's Day and my mother-in-law's birthday. It's about an hour's drive from our house and we'd gotten about 10 minutes into our journey when Grace announced she was feeling sick. I looked around and found, what else, an empty Ziploc! I think even Darrel was grateful for it then. Poor Gracie went on to fill another Ziploc on the way there and two on the way home. Never before had I been as glad for that leak-proof seal!
And with that, I can say to Darrel--so THERE! Ha ha! I love my Ziplocs (and my Darrel). Ziplocs--never leave home without 'em!

For a split second I thought that 2nd Ziploc picture was of Grace's puke! YUCK! hee hee
ReplyDeleteI love the post Amanda---you should really be paid for that ringing endorsement!
Rachel
I honestly don't know if I am more impressed or grossed out. I am all about containing a mess, but I can't help thinking about having that mess "saved" for later. Yucky. I hope Grace felt better quickly and you all were able to enjoy father's day!
ReplyDeleteyou are SO prepared! way to go!! I have a new respect for Ziplocs now. LOL :)
ReplyDeleteHope Grace feels better soon!
So last night Spencer wakes up at 4 a.m. throwing up. We called in sick today and spent it in our P.J.'s doing nothing. Darrel was here, so luckily I could get a nap. Spencer creamed me at Monopoly once he was done with being sick. Everyone is back to eating solid foods now, though I'm afraid that we may repeat this whole scenario with Justin tonight...or the next night. It's a little ominous knowing this bug could be lurking around the house somewhere.
ReplyDeleteChrissy--the great thing about having the mess "saved for later" is that I could just throw it all in the outside trash once we got home. No need to flush even!
Rach--oooh, yuck! I wouldn't take a picture of that. I didn't even look at it as I ran it to the trash.
i couldn't agree with you more: ziplocs are about the most useful items on the planet. i keep them everywhere (car, purse, suitcases, cooler pockets) and ALWAYS pack them for vacations and outings. don't leave home without 'em.
ReplyDeleteWow. I also love ziplock but for different reasons. Luckily. :)
ReplyDelete