Sunday, May 9, 2010

What a Mom Wants

Every Mother's Day, Darrel worries that he needs to get me a gift. I tell him there is only one thing I want, and I really mean it. A day off. A day to be a little pampered and have extra reminders that my role in our family is appreciated. So, today, I got just what I wanted.  

It's the simple things I enjoy. Sleeping in until 9:42 a.m.--unheard of!! With early risers in our house, that is quite a luxury. And a day without cooking or cleaning up dishes. Those were my gifts from Darrel. As an added bonus, Darrel's parents invited us down to dinner to which I only had to bring a salad. Here are the other things that made my day:

From Justin's Sunbeam class--he was so excited to run it down to me after Primary! That alone made my heart melt.


From Grace
I especially loved the "To: Amanda" with "Mom" in parentheses--just so we're clear

From Justin, made with Spencer's help (I love that he spelled phonetically what Justin told him to write so it would sound just like him)

From Spencer's school class

From Grace's school class. I was glad to get another magnet to add to my collection of things on the fridge that remind me I'm a mom (even though Darrel would prefer I clear everything off there so stuff would quit getting knocked down whenever people brush by it!).
I love how the effort the kids put into their cards is shown in the details that only a mother would notice. I love the way Grace was careful to give me curly hair of the correct length and made sure her eyes were green and she had long hair and that we were holding hands in the picture. Other ways I can tell both she and Spencer were trying hard to make their cards extra special are all the hearts and the way they embellished the letters on their words with little curls and dots. Very fancy! And I was SO glad to get nine so's on how much Grace loved me. She usually reserves that many for extra special people like her birth mom. It made me feel very loved. Grace also went out of her way to be extra kind to me, offering to do things she never does. Darrel said she asked if she could make our bed and that if it was already made she was planning on pulling it all apart and making it again. I got a kick out of that.

And today two of my kids' birth moms wished me a happy Mother's Day reminding me again how happy I am to be a mother and how grateful I am for the way that came to be. 

5 comments:

  1. happy mother's day, amanda. your kids are lucky to have you as their mom.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wonderful post! I talked in church today and made sure to put my little plug in about birthmothers. I am so grateful to be a mom because a birthmother had courage, love and strength.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for sharing this! I love that you got your much needed day off and that everyone was so thoughtful. It is wonderful to be a mother! Your kids are so cute! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a nice Mothers Day. How nice of the birthmothers to call you too. I love how Grace was being extra nice. It's true, on Mothers Day we don't expect that much, and it's great when we feel loved Amanda (old pal).

    Rachel

    ReplyDelete