Monday, April 20, 2009

A Series of Unfortunate Events

Sometimes it's not the big things that get me down, but a lot of little disappointments in short succession.  Does this ever happen to you?

Today was Monday.  Never a favorite day of the week to begin with, but I also had an appointment for my annual exam with the doctor early this afternoon and all the fun that entails.  I got in the van and put in a favorite CD.  No little voices coming from the back seats ordering which song to play or where the volume should be set.  I was going to enjoy this! I ejected the kids' CD and put in mine, The Bravery.  After a brief whirring and some other mechanical noises that didn't sound so good, the CD player spit the CD back out.  Hmmm, that was weird.  I tried again.  Same thing.  In desperation, I put the kids' CD back in.  Out it came.  Aw, rats.  I started driving in silence because I didn't know any good radio stations and didn't want to spend the time searching for one.  Already running a little late.  After a few minutes the silence wasn't too bad.

In order to reward myself for putting up with my exam every year (and sitting in a waiting room full of pregnant women), I relish going to Mrs. Backer's Bakery and treating myself to a cupcake. The bakery is conveniently located right across the street--I promise I didn't choose a doctor based entirely on that...not entirely.  

It was a beautiful sunny day.  I walked across the street anticipating the confectionary delight that awaited me.  I pulled on the door handle and was yanked forward again. What?!  I looked at the sign on the door. "Closed Sundays and Mondays".  WHAT??!!!  You've got to be kidding! But it was no joke.  Irritated, I walked back across the street. I decided I'd make cake for our family night treat.

At least I could take the scenic route home.  I was done with my appointment a good half hour earlier than I thought I would be, so I didn't need to rush back.  Justin was asleep and Darrel's mom was there.  I drove from 1st South up to where the road curves into City Creek Canyon and there I stopped short. ROAD CLOSED, read the barricades blocking the entrance. Thwarted again?!  I turned and drove back down A Street and through the city.  I guess I did get to see the new Church History Library (my brother-in-law works there, hi Andrew!).  woohoo. City Creek runs along in front of it and they've got tons of daffodils blooming among the rocks in the creek bed. That looked cool.

"I'll get a quick nap when I get home", I thought.  I was in the living room chatting with my mother- in-law when I heard a familiar voice.  It was only 1:30.  I told myself Justin was talking in his sleep, but a few moments later he walked down the hall proving me wrong.  It was a good hour before he usually wakes up.  I put my head in my hands. 

And that was the end of that.


3 comments:

  1. days like that are super annoying ... i have them once in a while, myself. i am now craving cupcakes, thank you {however, not craving a doctor's visit}. hope all went well and good luck with a better tomorrow.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dont you HATE those days. It makes you feel so worn out. Ya, I never understood why Backers took Mondays off? Just doesn't make sense really. Next time you need to drive to 3rd East and 3rd South..I think?? and get a wonderful treat at "The Bakery." It's a good second choice--try it!

    Anyhow, sorry you had a frustrating day.

    Rachel

    PS: Here's the song I think of you imitating off the radio when we were young. I still laugh about it!
    "Oh baby you..you got what I need. But you say he's just a friend..but you say he's just a friend."
    You would have to contort (sp??!!) your lips somehow to sing it like that guy.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for the bakery tip, Rach. Ha Ha! Good memories with that song. I thought I did a pretty good Aaron Neville impression, too. "I don't know much....but I know I love youuuu.."

    ReplyDelete